APRS units are not expensive: The "black box", based on aByonics Micro-Trak
RTG,which plugs into my  glider electrical system was $325 US, while a Yaesu
VX-8R with GPS is  about $600. The handheld offers alternative radio
communication which the black box does not. The black box system is completely
hands off, sending one  report when powered up and then waiting for movement to
start tracking.
  Most people set APRS to broadcast Lat/Lon/Altitude/Direction/Speed every
three
minutes. For a contest like this you could increase that frequency if you think
the bandwidth is there. One minute, for example. Faster report rate would
likely
eat up all the bandwidth of a system you're not paying to use.
  Use of either the dedicated APRS box or handheld with APRS functionality is
free. You may choose to donate to one of the websites that provide tracking
display, or to the local provider of digital repeaters.
  The complication is that users each need to have an amateur radio operators
licence. Study at home for a while and take the test in a few hours. Several of
us took the test together when we used to fly hang gliders and needed the radio
licence for the 2m band.
Jim

For more information:
http://www.aprs.net.au/

http://www.byonics.com/microtrak/mt-rtg.php

From: Matthew Gage <m...@knightschallenge.com>

If someone wants a better system, they can pay for it.