One of the things which I've always liked about gliding is the peace and the relative solitude which it offers. Muzak whilst gliding has never appealed any more than it has in the almost infinite number of other activities where it is thrust upon us. So while a while the relative quiet of gliding was almost overwhelming.

Audio varios arrived. Helpful, probably, but I prefer them at a very low audio level, and for the most part, they only tell me what I already know.

Somewhere in the history of things came radio (possibly even before audio varios) which was also helpful. Intrusive yes, but part of the business of aviating, and for the most part appropriate to the activity. Now we are on the CTAF and there is no peace or solitude, just the nearly constant broadcasts of every aircraft movement within a couple of hundred kilometres. For mine, it's certainly taken some of that which I find attractive out of the sport. Given that most of the times when I check the volume of the radio pre-takeoff, and find it turned down to zero, it seems that others might be similarly affected.

Perhaps I need to think about music as an antidote to radioitis. Bach preludes, or the Philip Glass violin concerto are fascinating possibilities but "Windmills of your mind" is an obvious. If you are over 40, you will probably know why (hint - think Steve McQueen).

Terry
(Presently in Canberra - gee the Cu's are nice over here)