Tim,

Delta one goes better than any B I came across. ;-)

Mart,

Depends who you ask. The Discus A has 80mm more wingspan than a Discus B -
yes both are 15m wingspan, but the A fuselage has 80mm less width. Plus I
think that the bottom fairing between the wing lower surface and the fuse is
more aerodynamic - but I was an A owner of course. B owners reckon that the
B fuse was more aero despite its girth. Just ask Tom C :-)

The truth is that like all gliders, both are a compromise. The A trades off
cockpit space for performance - real or illusional. The B (and C's in the
current generation of Schempp gliders) potentially trades off performance
for comfort - but it is also more flexible (more pilots can fly it) and
hence generally has better resale value.

Whatever the difference really is, it is probably less than the variation
between gliders that come out of the same molds. I have flown great B's -
and ordinary B's. The good ones would be competitive with  most A's - you'd
need a good A to notice a difference.

There are a series of mods to create more space in A cockpits - modified
seat pans (after market) to (I've been told) moving the forward bulkhead
forward about 50mm. I would enjoy comparing a new Ventus2ax or 2cax (to the
Discus A) but then who wouldn't!

BTW, I think that the LS8 cockpit is halfway in between the two Schempp
versions.

Cheers

Bruce