From: aus-soaring-boun...@lists.internode.on.net
[mailto:aus-soaring-boun...@lists.internode.on.net] On Behalf Of
anthony.sm...@adelaide.on.net
Sent: Wednesday, 21 September 2011 12:39 PM
To: Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] Glider visibility-UK-BGA

My only additional thought was whether it would be worth connecting the LED
strobes up to be triggered by the flarm such that when the flarm alarm sounds
the strobes start going (in addition to a manual switch).

A different line of thought, that would up the fun quotient considerably, would
be a modern version of the RP-63 'Pinball' (google it).  Connect up a little
box simialr to flarm that works out line of fire in two aircraft and then go
dog fighting.  The strobes go off signifying hits. (The RP-63 was a development
of the Bell P-63 King Cobra in WW2 and was used to train bomber gunners.  It
had a strobe light in the nose in lieu of the cannon.  The strobe would light
up signifying hits from the gunners.)

On Wed 21/09/11 9:18 AM , Mark Newton new...@atdot.dotat.org sent:
LED strobes are increasingly common in the amateur-built arena. The desire to
save weight means it's pretty unusual to install a strobe which requires a
heavy power box these days.

   - mark

On 21/09/2011, at 7:18, "Future Aviation"
<ec...@internode.on.net<javascript:top.opencompose('ec...@internode.on.net','','','')>>
 wrote:
Hi Anthony and others!

You might recall that I have embedded a row of LED strobe lights into the
leading edge of the winglets
on my ASH 25. It was a trail for Schleicher and happend about four or five
years ago.

I don't use them all the time because they only stand out while cruising under
a cloudstreet or in slightly
overcast conditions. In bright daylight they are less effective but I still
turn them on while flying in areas
of high traffic density.

The very latest generation of LED strobes are by far more powerful and a lot
more effective. They will
momentarily blind you if you look directly into them - just as conventional
strobes do. The relatively
narrow beam remains a problem but this can be overcome by embedding several
rows of LED lights
into the leading edge of the fin. This option is now available on the latest
breed of Schleicher ships.
The beauty is that there are no aerodynamic penalties at all.

Kind regards to all

Bernard