Hi All,
Couldn't get a launch today, or earlier in the month on the 16 January.

On the 16th the thermals started mid-morning and were VERY audible all day
.They continued until late evening. This day was definitely a once a year day.
Plenty of potential for an easy 1000 km, in almost any direction, even flying a
barn door. I had some worries about my house departing its footings!

Today was different but good: A later start for sure (1300-1400 hrs?), and
possibly more care in selecting the tasking area than on the 16 th. However the
temperature reached 40 degrees C at 1500 hours here in Ararat, and the day sure
was booming. As on the 16th there were well developed Cu all over the sky.
Cloudbase? Who knows? 10,000' plus? The (well developed), Cu were still there
at 2030, so obviously the limiting factor re final glide was the onset of
darkness.

One of the joys of soaring is the late final glide through totally still air
(and as a bonus, knowing that you will make it back to base). However I do not
think that this would have applied today here in Western Victoria. The final
glide would have been robust.

>From Ararat it is quite possible to soar south to the Bass Straight coast, and
>if one can pick up the Ottway Wave, carry on to Tasmania. This Strait crossing
>challenge has yet to be met.

Ararat is of course just 35 km from the Grampians Mountains. There is no doubt
that a sufficiently determined pilot will set an Australian Height Record in
the Grampian Wave.Heights to well over 30,000' have already been recorded. It
is worth noting that as Ararat is at 1008' ASL that ultimate gain of height
records can also be gained, relatively easily. I know of one case where wave
has been encountered, and effectively used, off a winch launch. However this is
exceptional, and release minimums can be expected to be about 4000' QNH.

Visiting pilots are always welcome. Oxy refills are available on site. Check
out the Grampians Soaring Club  web site via the GFA web site link if you want
to know more.

Cheers,
Gary