Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2012 7:20 PM
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] Gliders - transponders - USA - new recommendation

"Lighter-than-air vehicles" means balloons and airships in
FAA parlance. This slip shows how well tghe Washington
Examiner's sub-editors understand aviation. The comment
about being effectively invisible to ATC applies to any
aircraft that does not operate a transponder, whether
glider, balloon, hang glider/paraglider or aeroplane (of any
weight from 50 kg to 500 tons.

They say 9 people have died in 20 years. I wonder how many
have died by riding horses or bicycles without a helmet?
Horses are far more dangerous!

Wombat