Hi All,
In the "good old days" I did a couple of runs in the RAAF hypobaric chamber at
Pt Cook, with another nineteen glider pilots. This chamber was much later
relocated to Edinburgh SA  airforce base, and as far as I know is still in use
there today, by the military.

As Ian says, it was an Aviation Medicine Day, with the chamber run being just
part of the total experience. The basic scenario involved twenty glider pilots,
divided into two groups of ten - 10 being the capacity of the chamber. One
group did the chamber run, whilst the other group was given the essential
theory - and more.Then we swapped.

Yeah, a run to  about 23,000' (RAAF normal for ab initios??),  is what happened
on both occasions. Just like Goldilocks and the 3 bears - not too much and not
too little. You are in the danger zone, but there is room to react, if the s**t
is hitting the fan. Google "time of useful consciousness" to get an
understanding of this subject.  The chamber can of course simulate conditions
to a much greater height  than that - possibly to the upper edge of the
atmosphere and beyond: The details are lost in the mists of time, but maybe we
just did not ask the right questions for those details (see point 2 below).
Apart from these two matters, several things about my two days at Pt Cook come
to mind:
  a.. The TOTAL professionalism of the RAAF crew running the courses.
  b.. Their friendliness, and willingness to share information and further
discuss related matters.(We had to wait around for a while at the end of the
day to ensure that there were no unexpected negative after-effects resulting
from the chamber run.)
  c.. The sheer number of RAAF personnel required to conduct and monitor the
chamber run -  labour intensive for sure.
  d.. On my 2nd run, how the team coped with one attendee, who started
hyperventilating in the chamber.
  e.. Lastly (but by no means least), experiencing the sound (from within the
highly insulated chamber), of the run-up of the engines powering the chamber
evacuation pumps. I can tell you that the hairs on the back of my neck stood up
as those engines wound up to a banshee scream.
For what it is worth, I will give you my conclusion from these experiences -
there is only one:  WHEN IT COMES TO HIGH ALTITUDE FLYING, UNLESS YOU ARE
TOTALLY PREPARED, DON'T FUCK WITH DEATH. IF YOU ARE NOT TOTALLY PREPARED,
ULTIMATELY YOU WILL LOOSE.

Geoff Vincent (who is a member of this forum), and an experienced wave flyer
has devoted considerable time to documenting what is required to be "totally
prepared", If you want to go wave flying, and are new to the game,  I suggest
that you get in contact with Geoff - geoff.vinc...@optusnet.com.au

Regarding glider pilots using the RAAF hypobaric chamber I offer the following
comment. The head of the AAF is a very experienced glider pilot, and I suggest
that our new president (Anita), gets in contact with him (Air Marshall Geoff
Brown), on this topic.However, I further suggest that you do not hold your
breath if you expect a positive outcome.

Cheers,

Gary