Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2012 9:44 AM
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] Club Class Records: unofficial

Hi Stevo,

We used the old AG year books and listed all the records done in wooden aircraft and drew our line there. The records tumbled when the Boomerang/Austria/Foka were replaced with Diamants, Libelles , Pheobus and Cirrus. They weren't just a step up, they were a leap.

On some exceptional days there were some exceptional flights done. Geoff's in the Boomerang and Brian Mclaren's 800 odd Km in the Standard Austria were just outstanding. What I reckon is that if they knew what we know now, they may have gone further. In the last 2 years there has been flights of over 1000 k in a K6E (USA) and more recently the 600 k in a K2 two seater (Europe). A K2 not even a K7, probably a 24:1 glide angle.

I can't endorse your comment that these gliders need to be retired. I argue it's not really about the glider, it's more about the pilot extending themselves. I won't even say that anyone can jump in a current machine and just chalk off their silver C. Doesn't matter what you fly, it's still a goal to achieve in a flying machine without an engine.

Your comments about glue and structural failure needs to be toned down a bit. Even you know about delamination in glass structures so don't just point the finger at wood. Most glues have demonstrated longevity, particularly Casien, which would have to be one of the most careful glues to maintain has shown excellent strength. Yes there have been examples of failure but generally there are mittigated reasons for that result and if detected early it can be very easily repaired and in most cases returned to service.

As you know I grew up gliding, these pilots, and I knew a lot of them, were my idols. Jinksy, Rowe, Howland, Blackwell, Reid, Iggulden, Apsland, Renner and Dick Johnson in the US were just supermen to a junior pilot. But just as impressionable on me were the other pilots that just enjoyed their flying, seeing every flight as an experience.

Cheers

Patch