Thanks Macca.
It is certainly very difficult to get a mixed message here: Sullenberger makes
his viewpoint crystal clear.

Talking about mixed messages, I was earlier trying to make some sense out of
the last bit of the transcript from the flight without much luck. However one
of the other vids on YouTube made it quite clear that the 3 pilots had
displays, each fed with their own individual pitot input, and of course as a
result, each pilot was getting DIFFERENT information. End of MY confusion,
whilst they were discussing THEIR confusion. Apparently one pilot (at least),
ended up with a correct set of inputs. Anybody know who this was?

According to Lindsay Holmwood "Computer Geek and Software Manager at
Bulletproof Networks"), it would seem that elsewhere Sullenberger has talked
about Systems and  Man/Machine interface, and is quoted by Holmwood as saying
"If you look at the human factors alone, then you're missing half or two-thirds
of the total system failure."

Does anybody on this forum want to make comment on this?

As an aside "TOCA" appeared in the transcript. This is what the flight computer
was showing shortly before the fatal impact. If you want to know what it means
here it is; Take Off Go Around.(???? Yeah, not in the least helpful.)

Can anybody update me on the  current status of the criminal proceedings,
brought by the French Government against Air France, and Airbus?

Here is a last question to the members of this forum. I have no understanding
of the capabilities of the Airbus instrumentation. However it would seem that
there is a instrument that displays the  pitch angle of the aircraft to the
pilots: The Captain said he was in a 10 degree attitude just prior to impact.
We all know that pitch angle (angle of attack),  and stall are intimately
related. So if the aircraft was stalled at 38,000' or so, this onboard
instrument would be indicating the fact, and the pilot should have reacted and
taken the appropriate (quite routine), action to correct the situation.

I would be interested to know the height loss figures for recovery from a
straight ahead stall for this aircraft.  Can anybody provide this information?

Gary