Can’t be buggered building one, but I’d love to fly one!

From: aus-soaring-boun...@lists.internode.on.net
[mailto:aus-soaring-boun...@lists.internode.on.net] On Behalf Of James Dutschke
Sent: Thursday, 29 August 2013 8:46 PM
To: Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] Home built gliders

Anyone keen to start building a couple primary's?

Sent from my iPhone

On 29/08/2013, at 20:34, Laurie Simpkins <lahi...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hi Neville,  Just caught up on my aus-soaring entertainment.
  Don't be put off by the "slightly" negative responses you had and I sure the
intention was good if not the delivery. There are many home/kit built still
flying in Aus (I own one) and we test flew a mate of mine only a couple of
years ago so is it all possible. He is now building  a ultralight from scratch.
Currently however there are many good gliders around the country looking for a
new home and some TLC to restore them back to there former glory and would be a
much cheaper option just on the price of materials alone. The Vintage glider
Association is a wealth of information and also has a homebuilt sailplane
contingent as well so a visit to their website (and the worldwide vintage club)
is worth it.
Don't be put off by the word "vintage" as there are many good performing
aircraft to found in that category. A previous club I was in used to brainwash
the new guys that you couldn't go cross country in older aircraft and we all
needed 40 to 1 performance. Not the case. Shiny plastic (fibreglass) is nice
but not essential to flight.
I was unsure what your experience and motivation where for gliding and hope you
have found a starting point and we haven't put you off the sport.
If interested  we could have a chat offline sometime.

cheers
Laurie