Hi Tim,

Congratulations - and well said.

Kind regards

John Hudson.

From: aus-soaring-boun...@lists.internode.on.net
[mailto:aus-soaring-boun...@lists.internode.on.net] On Behalf Of Tim Shirley
Sent: Friday, 13 September 2013 7:36 PM
To: 'Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.'
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] State Comp Required Pilot Qualifications

Hmm,

What I said, is that our insurers require a Competitors licence as a
qualification for entry, in order to indemnify contest officials against the
consequences of a claim arising from incidents at that contest.  Is anyone
suggesting that there should be NO insurance for contest officials?

This isn’t a rule of the competition.  It is there to ensure that there will
actually be some officials willing to run the competition!

To the best of my knowledge, the issue of a Competition Licence does not
require anything beyond the CFI’s signature to say that in his or her opinion,
the applicant is competent to hold the licence.  There is nothing there about
any specific qualification, though clearly a pilot would need a X/C rating to
enter a competition.

Please try to distinguish between the GFA and an Insurance company – they are
not quite the same thing.

And one thing more.

I have yet to be paid to officiate at any gliding contest.  The best I have
managed is some help with expenses or some accommodation.  I’ve been an
official at more gliding competitions than I can remember or count.  But if you
guys are not willing to do at least something to help with the risks of
litigation, then count me out in the future.  You don’t deserve my or anyone
elses help.

I can handle grumpy pilots.  I can deal with dusty airfields and 45C.  I can
make scoring systems work.  I can even get around silly rulemakers.

But I have serious difficulties getting my enthusiasm back when people just
take it for granted that I’ll be there to run next one.

Cheers

Tim

Tra dire e fare c’è mezzo il mare