I think you will find that this particular aircraft was the turbine (prop
jet) version, definitely not suitable for glider towing!

John Parncutt

From: aus-soaring-boun...@lists.internode.on.net
[mailto:aus-soaring-boun...@lists.internode.on.net] On Behalf Of Ian Mc Phee
Sent: Friday, 25 October 2013 1:03 PM
To: Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] M18 Dromader

Pawnee style still seems the best.  Years ago we fitted a release to Peter
Middlebrooks Agwagon for a gliding cpmp and with extra power 300hp would go
up even better but it was far worse than Pawnee for getting down. There was
far less drag on Agwagon thus it would not slow down and the constant speed
prop did not help.  Michaels etug originally had 260HP and was fitted with
constant speed prop but a friend of mine just could not get it down as the
then Pawnee 235 we had at Keepit.  Also John Michell had a 260hp ? Agwagon
and again it was not a success for glider towing..

So Pawnee style is the way to go.  By the way a guy at Dalby (only remember
his name as Smoky) bought a cheap pawnee for think 2 years ago for about
$24000.  He was going to put a LS1 engine it but he is no longer gliding and
notice it is again for sale (no price).  If somebody wants a project think
it will go for $20K about and may be worth considering.

Recently saw Bob Wards project on the PIK27 tow plane but is is not a club
project in my opinion.

Ian McPhee

 .  ;