Hi Mike,

I originally flew from Cunderdin in the 80's so you can blame Orton, Painter,
Cooper, Saunders and Repton for my early training.
I now fly and instruct from Kingaroy and you can now blame Schmidt, Kolb,
Sommerfeldt and the other recalcitrants for my current predicament. I still
can't fly out of sight on a dark night, in fact I outlanded in the first
paddock north of town last Sunday. I have shares in ZAF "Phoebus C. Although I
am about to give up on it having tried every comfort trick in the book and have
failed dismally. So if anyone wants to take my share for the princely sum of
nearly zero email me. I am in need of a new aeroplane, nimbus, hornet, mossie
ventus etc. I am really after something that needs a refinish as a project so
if you know of anything let me know.

Day job is 737 mixed with a role in flight ops ( fuel efficiency ) at Virgin.

I guess having been brought up at Cunderdin which has always been a CTAF MBZ
MTAF BRZ thingy you kind of got used to machi,s pc9, barons and other IFR
training aircraft, Kingaroy is the same but now but throw in RFDS, rescue
helis, ultralights and more gliders and it all seems to work.

Although I am young in Aviation terms at 46 years old and with few hours I can
honestly say a couple of things.

1- Glider pilots make better airline pilots PERIOD.  No ifs, no buts it's just
a fact, they have a better feel, manage energy better and generally shine in
aeroplane manipulation both manually and systems wise.

2- I have NEVER met a Airline pilot whom looked down on their fellow airline
pilots because they went soaring. And to be honest if I did meet one I sure as
hell wouldn't put my kids on a airliner with them.

3- On the other hand just because you are a glider pilot it doesn't mean you
have better flying skills than an airline pilot, despite what a few might think
it's not all autopilot and piss drinking. On my fuel team I have a ex F18
instructor, if you think thermalling is hard just wait until you have done it
with someone trying to shoot you down, this bloke is still an FO's waiting his
time until a command becomes available. Funnily enough he started flying
gliders out of Western Sydney. Conversely many of VA pilots joined from GA or
Regional airlines and many would agree with you as to radio use and other
standards. Unfortunately that level of aviation has always been a stepping
stone so the continuity of training is never there.  That is why we are so
lucky in soaring. If you added up the experience of my instructors from WA and
Qld alone it must add up to over 300 years of experience. It sometimes
frustrates me when we don't realise just how good we are and why we don't
promote it in a professional manner to other airspace users.

Having said that I threw a mate of mine from Kingaroy (level 2 and comp pilot)
in the 737 simulator last month. He has never flown anything bigger than a
motorfalk yet after 30 minutes he flew away from a V1 cut, flew a perfect
single engine visual circuit and landed on speed, on slope and even remembered
to use the one remaining thrust reverser. I have no doubt he would have made a
top notch airline pilot had he wanted to.

I guess after all this babble all I am trying to say is that as soon as I hear
the old " real pilots  lookout and hate engines crap I turn away and hope I
don't meet them in a thermal or on final glide ( not much chance of that since
I am always lower than every one else) because they are the ones who turn off
Flarm, set 122.9, fly over weight with no insurance and only just pass their
checks because they are better than the GFA and their silly " control access "
checks.

We now live in an age of Oudies, Flarm, tcas, SMS systems and IT based training
aids, whilst it might not be like the good old days it's what we have got to
work with, and your poor suffering CFI might like a hand to keep on top of it :)

Righto off soapbox now until the spin argument arises. Better go find a discus
or hornet in need of paint

Justin
Justin Sinclair
17 Queen st.