Hi Erich,

Greetings! Hope you and the nipper are well.

You have supplied some very good information.

Regarding the rest of your email:

YES ... if you want to maximize the life of the batteries ... you really do
need a smart charger to charge your SLA (gel cell) batteries.

The charger you showed in your post is almost certainly OK, but I have no
idea what is BEST. Technically, you would need to draw up a specification to
match your exact needs, and then see what matches it.

[Of course I fully understand that when it comes to writing Specifications,
in many cases the exact opposite occurs: Find a product that MIGHT do the
job, and then write the specification to match that product description!
......A regular procedure in the 3rd world, especially if (large sums of),
money change hands. Funny about that good match! Of course such practices
would never happen in OZ, and in particular in Australian Tertiary Education
Centres .....  would they? ]

Ross is keeping away from batteries being sold from China. I have no
experience of this, but modeller friends, use "Hobby King" -based  in Hong
Kong - extensively, with good results.

If you want to go down the home-build route for your charger, you might want
to have a look at a kit. Altronics  - Perth based, but now with many outlets
- puts out a kit  No K1685. This can be built either as a 12V or a 6 V
system by changing a few components, all of which are supplied so that at
the end of the day you will have a few spare parts. I suspect that the
design comes from the  "Silicon Chip Magazine" people, so you can check out
their site too,  if interested in "best" parameters.

 I have not checked, but no doubt Altronics can  supply you with an adequate
kit to build a useable SLA battery tester too! However if you are regularly
doing 10 or more hours in a single flight, without battery depletion
problems, then I suggest that you do not need a battery tester.

Battery technology is currently changing rapidly.  There has been relatively
recent extensive discussion on this site, and I refer you to the archives,
for that mass of  information. It is very apparent that what is "cutting
edge" today, will be very shortly supplanted by something else tomorrow! On
p 64 of the March/April edition of Gliding International there is a note re
"Alternative for Lithium Batteries" where experiments are being done at
Virginia Tech in which sugar is being used to charge mini fuel cells, with
the ultimate aim of producing a biodegradable, high energy density, low
price, battery. Hmmm!

I use very ordinary SLA batteries (2No 7Ah in parallel, with a 7Ah back-up
tail battery),  in my glider, and at this point in time see no reason to
change to something more exotic:  Much more expensive, and potentially much
more hazardous. However if you have a battery weight problem then go for it.
Did I mention that I had a  failure of ALL my (very old), batteries at the
same time in an October 2013 flight? Very interesting: Sh*t happens! So much
for back-up! (Note: The mechanical Sage vario worked OK.) All these
batteries were replaced via 2 local  eBay sources, both of which provided a
12 mth warranty on their high quality, brand-name product: Incredibly cheap,
about $60 total - including "free" freight in both cases. Absolutely no
problems to date, and I would expect 4 - maybe 10 years tops, life from
these batteries, with maybe 400 full recharges in that time period.

Regards,

Gary