A response from Butterfly's Marc Forderer via Swift Avionics.

Dear Mike and Bernard

Both of you wrote us the same forum post. We would prefer not getting
involved into forums discussions. Her’s the (short-ish) answer.

We are using AHRS computed data to determine airflow around the aircraft in
realtime. We do this using our inertial platform inside our sensor unit.
The algorithms we use are based on years (literally) of research and part
of a doctor thesis. The horizontal component is wind, the vertical is what
we call "vertical air mass“ (VAM).

The advantage of this new computation method is that horizontal energy
addition (in gusts) does not have influence on VAM readings.

We have a mixing method that allows the user to blend in normal pressure
sensor (TEK) based „Netto Vario“ signals into the VAM readings. If your
installation is not perfect (= AHRS won’t work very accurately) or if you
prefer not to use the new data but like your old fashioned netto better
(with gust induced energy changes), then you can set it to 50% to mix it or
even 0%.

The standard setup is 100%, that means 0 conventional and 100% AHRS based
data. We are very confident in this new technology and its fun to use. We
don’t use just some Accel/Gyro data and mix them in some way to tell people
its cool. Actually most users fly with 100%.

Instantaneous wind makes a huge difference to your flying, even if not
flying in mountainous regions where the advantages are obvious. The new
wind indication helps you to locate thermals or convergences in flatland
areas as it reacts to smallest local airflow/wind differences.

We have come a long way bringing this technology to the market and making
it available to many pilots in different aircraft. We have had quite some
troubles in the beginning, but this is not unusual. If you want to bring
new technologies to the market , you must know about the pain you will go
through initially.

We are thrilled by the possibilities the system offers and love flying with
it, our customers do so, too.

*Something you don’t have to write in the forum but its obvious:* Old
technology vario manufacturers love to tell people that it does not help
you flying or does not work. Now that its proven to work (ask people flying
with it) they love to tell people how difficult it is to install it. I must
admit that installation requires good care and some hours worth of time.
But fly with one, you will see that its worth it.

Cheers
Marc

--
Mark Fisher