From: aus-soaring-boun...@lists.internode.on.net
[mailto:aus-soaring-boun...@lists.internode.on.net] On Behalf Of Mike
Borgelt
Sent: Monday, 9 June 2014 7:29 PM
To: Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] Cloud proof fence

You need to understand the geography and climate of SW W.A.

The wheatbelt is the area in the SW where the rainfall is high enough to
grow wheat. Check out any satellite photos of the area. The rabbit proof
fence is the limit of that area pretty much. I had a pal in physics at UWA
in the late 1960s who came from a farm just west of the fence. If they were
lucky they got a crop 2 out of 5 years and then the bastard emus would be
looking hungrily at it from the other side of the fence.

So the fence location isn't exactly independent of the surface
vegetation/rainfall characteristics.

The rain is mostly in winter apart from the odd summer thunderstorm and
comes from the showers following passage of cold fronts. Much of the rain
falls on the coastal plain and Darling range (what there is of it - Perth is
built on a coastal desert) and what is left goes to the wheatbelt.

After the harvest in December the wheatbelt is nearly bone dry. Great
outlanding country - tell me about it. Your biggest problem, if you didn't
figure out where the fences/roads/houses  were while still airborne is
figuring out where to walk to after landing. If you fly there in summer
you'll get good at flying in blue thermals except for the odd spectacular
trough day which will have very high based cu and high convection. I've been
to 16500 feet in blue thermals there. Much like South Australia but without
a large river for irrigation fed by the Great Divide.

The dry ground and only a little bit of dry stubble left means there sure as
heck isn't a lot of evaporation (latent heat flux) as there isn't any water
in the vegetation. In the scrub the stunted poor excuses for trees will
however still evapo-transpire so in summer there will be more latent heat
flux there. In August the rains are still happening in the crop growing
areas  with higher rainfall so that's where the latent heat flux is greater
than in the scrub.

Nothing all that surprising in that paper.

What isn't obvious is the salinity problem. Lots of salt lakes and salt
coming to the surface as a result of tree clearing.  This has been addressed
since the mid 1970s with replanting and other mitigation methods.

Mike