From: aus-soaring-boun...@lists.internode.on.net
[mailto:aus-soaring-boun...@lists.internode.on.net] On Behalf Of Mark Newton
Sent: Wednesday, 20 August 2014 4:20 PM
To: Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
Subject: [Aus-soaring] BoM data feed to Australian Atmospheric Soundings
website

G'day.

I've recently received email from the Bureau of Meteorology to say that the
data feed they've historically provided to make
http://slash.dotat.org/cgi-bin/atmos work will, in future, cost $1125 per
annum.

Or, more to the point:  The data itself will continue to be free, but
there's a $1125 per annum fee to be a registered user of it.

I can get similar data at no cost from University of Wyoming's Upper Air
Project.  In my experience, the sounding data from there is delayed by an
hour or so, because they get it from the BoM too, then process it before
they make it available.

I see a non-trivial number of HTTP server hits on my website, so I know
people are still using the facility. But server hits don't tell me if
they're getting value out of it.

So:  Is it still useful?

My options, as I see them, are:

1.  Pay BoM,
2.  Refactor the code to fetch from UoW, and accept that it'll run a little
bit late; or
3.  Shut down the site.

Currently leaning towards (2), but nobody is getting value out of it then
(3) is clearly my path of least resistance.

Thoughts, comments, requests?

  - mark