Hallo John,

I for one, REALLY appreciate the effort that you (and no doubt a very few
un-named others), have put in to try and try and get this comp up, as a
stand alone event in Victoria for 2014/15: THANK YOU.

I wonder what this abysmal result says about the mind set of  firstly GCV
pilots (the potential host club), then Victorian pilots in general, and
finally that of pilots in SA & NSW who could quite easily (?), also attend?
[Yeah I know all about those pathetic excuses, that start " I only have 4
weeks annual leave per year, and I have already committed to spend 2 weeks
of that at the beach with my family".]

Anyone considering this matter, must also think about the concurrent 2014/15
SA State Comp debacle.

To my mind, there is not the slightest doubt that at the National level, the
performance of pilots competing at this level continues to advance. This is
not surprising given the increasing International exposure gained by many of
the competing pilots. This experience feeds back into the system:. The
performance advance, not just of the top 3 or so pilots, but of the whole
field is quite marked. I think that as far as competition flying is
concerned, at the National and International level things are basically on
track.

As to the rest? The only thing I can say is that it takes time and effort to
become a good soaring pilot. If you want to be a good competition pilot, or
a good distance flyer, there are additional skills that must be learned.
Club Regattas and State Competitions are the ideal training ground to learn
competition flying skills. If you want distance, start early and finish
late. None of this is impossible: however it does require YOUR commitment.

The OLC is basically about distance flying. Are there differences here to
flying  State/National Competitions which are basically only about speed
flying ? Of course, but perhaps surprisingly, the essential skills required
are, in the main, exactly the same. Mostly the top scoring Australian OLC
pilots also include the top scoring Australian competition pilots.  Have a
re-read of James Cooper's very recent article in Gliding Australia - issue
21 - on "Winning the OLC". You will see that his final comment is on the
total commitment that is required.

Regards,

Gary