Hello all

This is an absolute tragedy and an extremely depressing accident indeed! Both
pilots were not only well known to me but were also regarded as good friends.
One of them was even expecting to take delivery of his new ASH 31 Mi in NZ
immediately after returning from Namibia.

Both pilots were instrumental in setting up the Omarama gliding centre in New
Zealand and were highly respected indeed.  They put an enormous effort into
promoting our sport and their deaths are a great loss to the entire gliding
community. Perhaps we should all refrain from speculation and wait until the
official investigation has been completed but it is hard to imagine that two
such highly experienced pilots lost their lives due to pilot error.

My thoughts are with their families at this difficult time. I’m also shocked
and extremely saddened and I certainly don’t feel like going gliding for quite
some time.

Bernard