When a early cross country pilot solos, at many clubs he or she is likely to
start in a Junior which has a best LD of 35 at 43 knots. This is fine
provided it is not too windy (ie 10-15 kts max on course) which I think is
the big issue here.

So looking at how some typical two-seaters compare. The K13 has a best LD of
27 at 49 kts. The Puchatek also has a best LD of 27 at 48 kts. Next is the
Grob 103 Twin 2 with best LD of 35 at 56 kts, the ASK21 with best LD of 35
at 46 kts, and the Twin Astir with a best LD of 38 at 59 kts.

The Duo has an advertised best LD of 47 at 56 kts ... similar to the DG1000.

Some of the gliders above are very difficult to de-rig (eg Puchatek) and
would be avoided for cross-country accordingly. Whilst the DG1000 and Duo
are obviously superior, it could be argued that some of the lesser
performing two-seaters like the Grob, Twin Astir and ASK21 are going to more
closely replicate the performance of the Junior.

In nil wind, there should be no problem going cross country in a lower
performing glider. Some Club Class gliders will only achieve LDs of high
20s, low 30s in competition so the LD in itself in not an issue in light
wind conditions. However, if you are spending 30-40% of a flight climbing in
a Junior and there is a 30 knot wind, you may really struggle.

I agree with the previous posts ... the thrill of achieving a cross-county
flight must be shown to greatly exceed any of the drawbacks. Last year, I
out-landed four times (met some lovely people !) and performed six retrieves
(I don't mind that ratio ... you can learn quite a bit from the experiences
of others, and you build up a credit bank!) . I have done some analysis of
these events which I will post separately. In all the outlandings I have
been involved in as a pilot or collector, I have never experienced or seen
anything other than the greatest degree of assistance and hospitality from
the "hosts". Great fun.

John