From: aus-soaring-boun...@lists.internode.on.net
[mailto:aus-soaring-boun...@lists.internode.on.net] On Behalf Of Anthony
Smith
Sent: Thursday, 12 March 2015 9:07 PM
To: 'Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.'
Subject: [Aus-soaring] Design Approval Procedures Manual

Hi all

Has anyone been able to download the latest version (Issue 3) of the Design
Approval Procedures Manual from the GFA web site yet?  Or is it not yet
released?

Regards

Anthony

5.   Design Approvals Procedures Manual (DAPM)

Mike Burns has concluded a contract under the Airworthiness Development
Program to draft and have approved by CASA a Design Approvals Procedures
Manual (DAPM). This is Issue 3 of the DAPM dated December 2014 and is
endorsed by CASA for immediate use and has been approved by the GFA Board.

When a non-standard modification, repair or replacement part is introduced
to a certified sailplane or powered sailplane, (operated under GFA) the
Certificate of Airworthiness will be invalidated, but can be re-instated
provided that the non-standard modification or repair has been "Design
Approved".

The DAPM outlines the procedures that enable (under CASA REG21.M) an
Authorised Person to provide Design Approval thereby revalidating the
sailplane's or powered sailplane's original Certificate of Airworthiness.

See the DAPM on the GFA web page under Docs/Forms to see what is involved.
However, this is a guide to the Engineers more than to you the member.

An Applicant, seeking Design Approval for a project, will start by
completing GFA Form AIRW_F009 and submitting it to the GFA CAD for
registration . Maintenance persons may also apply for repair approvals to
enable major repairs. The application should be made after informal
investigation of the project proposal with either the CAD, CTO or a 21.M AP
to ensure that there is no pre-existing work that could be utilised and that
what is proposed, is feasible, with no obvious adverse influences on
airworthiness or safety. Where possible, consultation with the original
sailplane manufacturer is appropriate.

NOTE: It is not expected that the Applicant will have fully detailed
engineering data available at the application stage, that will be developed
by the Applicant and the allocated 21.M AP as the design approval is
processed.

Work performed by the 21.M AP will typically be paid for by the person
requesting the Design Approval.

Note that if you proceed with a significant modification it does invalidate
the CoA. Please discuss. We may be able to issue you an Experimental
Certificate to enable you to experiment if you wish to take the risk.
However, to return it to CoA status is only possible using the Design
Approval process if the Engineers can approve what you have done - no
guarantee.