Hmmm ....

A very Interesting point that you raise here Mike.

For some reason I was reminded of Robert Browning’s  poem “Up at a villa,
down in the city”, which I hadn’t  thought about for decades. Of course one
answer is obvious, having both a town house, and a villa on the hill, would
be very nice.

In gliding terms a few of our more well heeled members have managed to do
just that.

Yeah ... it’s all about choice and compromise.

Unfortunately for a large proportion of  the human race, these people are
not able to  get to the point where they can even contemplate being able to
make a choice. Day to day survival is the name of the game.

 Browning did not write a poem about the homeless, and those living in slums
and shanty towns. Anyone like to give us an example of a poet who has done
just that?

Moving on:

Over the years, having living in many countries, and many towns in those
countries, I am now living in deepest downtown Ararat. You can Google
“Ararat” if you are so inclined. It is a vibrant town with a pro active
Council. It also has and airfield and a gliding club – Grampians Soaring
Club Inc. of which I am a member.

>From a gliding perspective, is this the ideal place to be?

Well I was about to say no, but then I had further thoughts. Instead, let me
share some of the positives with you.

In brief, from Ararat Airfield which is located a mere 5 km east of the
township, you can experience thermals, to 15,000’ (on rare days to be sure),
you can also ridge soar Lhangi  Ghiran just a few km to the east of the
airfield, and you can of course try the Grampians Wave, the potential of
which has been barely touched on. So far a mere 32,000’.

So we have ridge, thermal, and wave opportunities. Hmmmm.

The GSC is holding its annual Queen’s birthday Wave Soaring Festival, out of
a private strip at the base of the Grampians. You are invited to
participate. Contact me off line for further details. In the first instance
call me on 03 5352 4938 after 10.00 am.

Gary