Paul,

I agree with you in general as to the point that if we are happy with the
premise of the current TIA Act that LEAs should be able to intercept
communications with a duly authorised warrant, then extending that to encrypted
services seems a reasonable extension to keep up with technology.

However, the current intercept regime is very difficult if not impossible for a
bad actor to exploit. The intercept points are within the Carrier and CSP
networks, out of reach of most people. When we move to intercept end-to-end
encrypted services you either need to break the encryption (which thankfully
does not seem to be the path anybody is proposing), OR, you need to access the
clear text at the end point itself. The problem I have with this is that the
end point is out in user land, often accessible to anyone on the internet, and
now exposed to exploit by bad actors.

--

Chris Ford | CTO

Inabox Group Limited