Hi all,

Any recommendations for buying 1Gbit IP Transit in Sydney?

Background:  iRacing is a US company, based out of Boston.  We have a
significant customer base in Australia.  There are times when our customers
need to access our servers in Boston.  Our application (a realtime online
racing simulation) is pretty latency sensitive, and the routes from AU<->Bos
can be challenging.  We have a lead on a good 1Gbit (virtual) Layer 2 Transport
circuit from Equinix SY1 in Sydney (or a couple other datacenters there) to our
datacenter in Boston, but would need to connect the Sydney end into something
that gives us access to the bulk of the Australian home Internet market.

Due to (mostly human) resource constraints, as well as budget, establishing
direct relationships/connections to multiple networks in Sydney is likely a
non-starter.  So we'd need to buy Transit from someone that has direct
connections to the big players (Telstra, TPG, Optus/Singtel/Microplex,
iiNet/Internode, Aussie Broadband/Wideband Networks, Vocus/Primus, Foxtel,
etc.)  Our hope is that we could talk BGP from our routers in Boston to this
provider's routers in Sydney using the L2 backhaul circuit, and draw traffic
originating in Australia and bound for our Boston servers through that provider
and into that circuit.

We're a stub network, so we'd only be announcing our own IPv4 and IPv6 blocks
into it.  One caveat is that we'd need to keep that announcement within
Australia, so that we don't start pulling traffic bound for Boston into Sydney
from the wider southeast Asia region (eg: it would be counterproductive for
this circuit to draw traffic from Japan).  So there'd need to be some decent
control over things - likely a good set of BGP communities.

Thanks for any leads!

Randy Cassidy
iRacing.com Motorsport Simulations