On Fri, 10 Nov 2023 at 15:14, Tony Miles <tmile...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Generically I would suggest that trying to run LACP over a carrier link is
> not the best idea. LACP is intended as link aggregation for the two devices
> that are directly connected together and so LACP packets are usually
> interpreted as "local" only. Most gear will give you the option to tunnel
> L2 control packets, but only on a P2P type service. Optus might work
> depending on product and configuration, I suspect nbn will never work.

Agree. More broadly it can end in tears if customers rely on and are
allowed to rely on undocumented service feature capabilities, because once
you allow a customer to try it and use an undocumented service capability,
and it works, and then they rely on it, and it can be hard or impossible to
take it away if you need to.

(It's a long story, however in the distant past I've had to work on taking
away customers' ability to run STP over their VPLSes, if they happened to
be, because we needed to use it internally to prevent forwarding loops
while LACP was negotiating on a specific vendor's equipment that had
followed the IEEE's specs to the letter (after that experience, you realise
most vendors aren't entirely implementing LAG/LACP fully IEEE compliantly).

Running STP/RSTP wasn't a supported service capability. It would work on a
VPLS that was only using our access circuits, however if the customer's
VPLS had at least one 3rd party access circuit, then we knew they weren't
running STP.

The lesson of the story is don't allow customers to actively "suck it and
see" for unsupported service capabilities. The technical product spec
provided to customers should be the only things that work, so you
definitely know what customers are and are not running over your service.)

Regards,
Mark.