Date:        Fri, 27 Apr 2018 15:24:30 +0100
    From:        Geoff Clare <g...@opengroup.org>

  | This discussion seems to have come round to the same issue that was
  | raised recently in some comments in bug 1190, specifically Stephane's
  | notes 3960 and 3962 and my reply in note 3963.

Yes, I remembered seeing something like that, somewhere...

  | In summary: the need for a way to store a pattern in a variable such
  | that a pattern-magic character can be treated literally

Yes, that is the need.

  | is a reason to keep the first paragraph of 2.13.1 as-is and say that
  | shells which behave differently than bash here do not conform.

That would be nice.   I was going to say that I expect that Jörg would
not agree - but I see he has already done that....

For now the best that might be possible, given that almost no shells
do this,  would be to make it unspecified whether this works, and
mark it as a future direction that a later rev will require it.