But this is benign.  Only one thread is running in the new process,
that thread does not touch any sockets it knows nothing about,
and it will soon exec(), and the close-on-exit flag will do its job.

The mistake the OP was doing is to close the listening socket, which is bound
to INADDR_ANY (and a fixed port),
occurs,
a race ensures: if the exec() does not happen soon enough, the parent fails to
rebind to the
socket, because it is still open in the child.

Had he simply left the existing listening socket alone, everything would have
worked.

>   | This seriously undermines the case for an all new F_CLOFORK flag
>
> If it weren't for threading, I would not support it at all.   In any
> non-threaded context it is a stupid idea.   But I can see the need for
> it with our current threading methedology.   The real problem is that
> threads are a horrid misfeature.   Unfortunately, lots of people seem
> to like the evil things.

No use case demonstrating need for this feature has been presented up to now.