Stephane Chazelas <steph...@chazelas.org> wrote:

> Note that AT&T ksh and bosh revert to calling the standalone
> time utility in that case so they can't be used to time
> builtin/functions.

Well, if you enforce to implement the old POSIX behavior, you get what the old
POSIX definition says: timing is only possible for external commands.

If you use the extension, you get more....

> Which seem to be calling the standalone "time" utility in all
> implementations in my tests.
>
> $ mksh -c 'time -p uname | cat'
> mksh: -p: inaccessible or not found

Given  that mksh claims to emulate ksh88 and sometimes ksh93, it could be seen
as a bug.

> $ zsh -c 'time -p uname | cat'
> zsh:1: command not found: -p

BTW: I remember that you frequently write that zsh intends to emulate the csh
behavior, but csh _is_ able to get timing for builtin commands:

csh
% time alias
0.0u 0.0s 0:00 0% 0+0k 0+0io 0pf+0w
%