Date:        Wed, 29 Jul 2020 16:07:05 +0100
    From:        Geoff Clare <g...@opengroup.org>

  | Perhaps things have changed since 2009

Yes...   The NetBSD shell didn't do it properly (as in, at all)
until Dec 2018 (though we were probably one of the last) - it
had been listed as a bug in the man page before that.

One of the challenges with doing standard updates is updating
everything to match current reality, after shells have been
updated to perform better in the intervening years.

Speaking of which, what is the current holdup with resolving
whichever bug it is (I hate searching in mantis, so I won't
try here) which specifies $'...' ?   Perhaps whatever the
problem was (before my time) with the specification of that
is no longer a problem?