Date:        Fri, 19 Feb 2021 14:30:25 -0500
    From:        Chet Ramey <chet.ra...@case.edu>

  | Nope, it's consistent with the standard.

I can understand that argument.

  | that's not a fair reading of rule 4.

Whenever we need to rely upon "fair" readings (which generally means
that it isn't unambiguous, but it "must" mean ...) we have a problem.

It clearly needs to be fixed.    bash is alone amongst shells in interpreting
it that way.   zsh (while not always very posix conformant) is alone in
interpreting it the way I first suggested.   Everyone else allows that "esac"
to be Esac only when it causes a match, and not when it causes a syntax
error, which is what 2.10.1 says.

Of course, this is all more pointless noise in a way, no-one ever uses the
word esac as a case pattern ... if they had some reason to need that, they'd
quote it ("esac" or 'esac' or even just \esac) and remove any possibility of
it being treated as a reserved word.

kre

            • ... Harald van Dijk via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Harald van Dijk via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Harald van Dijk via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Harald van Dijk via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Chet Ramey via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Chet Ramey via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • ... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
  • Re: [1003.1(... shwaresyst via austin-group-l at The Open Group
  • [1003.1(2016... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group