Hello.

It is kind of redundant, but i think i forward the message once
again, now that my subscription is reestablished.

--- Forwarded from Steffen Nurpmeso <stef...@sdaoden.eu> ---
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 17:57:20 +0200
From: Steffen Nurpmeso <stef...@sdaoden.eu>
Subject: Re: [1003.1(2016/18)/Issue7+TC2 0001436]: make: add "-j max_jobs"
option to support simultaneous rule processing

Austin Group Bug Tracker wrote in
 |----------------------------------------------------------------------
 |----------------------------------------------------------------------
 |We think we have achieved consensus on a rewrite of the description of the
 |<b>-j</b> option; see "attempt #3" on line 65 of
 |https://posix.rhansen.org/p/2021-05-20. Feedback would be appreciated.

I am not a honourable make(1) programmer but since i opened the
issue i want to state that i liked it when i read it last night.
I was actually surprised to see the issue reopened as such,
because my thinking would have been that a -j parallelized make(1)
enters some kind of jobserver mode that becomes established via
some environmental setting (or whatever the programmer chooses aka
can easily be found by subprocesses), the existence of which is
checked by make(1) at startup.  Then stating something like "i am
process X, and my parent is Y" etc.  And the rest being up to the
make(1) implementor as a quality of implementation (scheduling,
fair even more so, seems to reside in the area of very complicated
programming).  I was surprised to see that rule content matters at
all.

A nice weekend i wish from Germany,

--steffen

|(By Robert Gernhardt)

  • [1003.1(2016... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • [1003.1... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Fwd: Re... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Fwd... Andrew Josey via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re:... Paul Smith via austin-group-l at The Open Group