On 2021-06-28 21:28:37 +0700, Robert Elz wrote:
>     Date:        Mon, 28 Jun 2021 15:48:33 +0200
>     From:        Vincent Lefevre <vincent-o...@vinc17.net>
>
>   | So, if writing to a closed fd yields unspecified behaviour, what
>   | does "refers to no open file" mean?
>
> No, you misunderstood.   It isn't writing to the closed fd, that's perfectly
> defined (as you quoted) what generates unspecified behaviour is invoking
> any of the standard utilities (non-standard ones are always unspecified of
> course) with any of stdin stdout or stderr not properly opened (stdin for
> reads, at least, stdout and stderr for writes).

Where is this written (at least for the particular case of builtins)?

For the non-standard utilities, they are not specified by POSIX, but
their behavior may be specified by something else, and I doubt that
the shell is allowed to mess up their normal execution just because
they are not specified by POSIX.

> But no-one has ever really liked the results when applications start
> reporting stdout/stderr write errors (in the latter case, the only way
> would be to try opening /dev/tty or use something like syslog()).

I don't think POSIX requires that error messages be really written with
some other mean in case of error when writing these error messages. In
any case, terminating with a nonzero exit status would allow the user
(e.g. a script) to detect the issue.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vinc...@vinc17.net> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>

  • Re: utilities and w... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group
  • Re: utilities and w... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: utilities ... Stephane Chazelas via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re: utilit... tg...@mirbsd.org via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • Re: ut... Vincent Lefevre via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • Re: ut... Vincent Lefevre via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • Re: ut... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: utilities ... Vincent Lefevre via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: utilities ... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re: utilit... Vincent Lefevre via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • Re: ut... Philip Guenther via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re: utilit... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: utilities ... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re: utilit... Stephane Chazelas via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • Re: ut... Vincent Lefevre via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • Re: ut... Stephane Chazelas via austin-group-l at The Open Group