> On Sep 8, 2021, at 1:06 PM, Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open
> Group <austin-group-l@opengroup.org> wrote:
> Hasn't it been explained many times that the non-orthogonal behavior of gmake
> for the += operator for macros created with the gmake := operator is a source
> of unpredictable behavior, in special if large layered (via include) makefile
> systems are used and you cannot easily see how a macro was initially created?

It has been claimed in https://www.austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=1471
<https://www.austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=1471> ,
but not proven. I believe the number of users of GNU make dwarfs all
other make implementations combined, and this hasn’t been a problem for users
of GNU make.
I’ve never seen that claim by actual users of GNU make. Nor has Paul Smith,
maintainer of GNU make.

> The :::= operator fixes this and allows to predict how other operators behave.

I’m skeptical of *that* reason.

If the goal is to enable easy portability of existing makefiles
that use “:=“ to a POSIX standard operator, that’s a plausible reason to add
“:::=“.
But that adds yet another operator, and it’s not clear that people need it or
that they would use it if it were added.

--- David A. Wheeler

  • Re: [Issue 8 drafts ... Nick Stoughton via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: [Issue 8 dr... Paul Smith via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re: [Issue ... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • Re: [Is... Paul Smith via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • Re:... David A. Wheeler via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... David A. Wheeler via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Paul Smith via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... David A. Wheeler via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... David A. Wheeler via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... David A. Wheeler via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Scott Lurndal via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Paul Smith via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • Re:... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group