2021-09-11 00:29:44 +0200, Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group:
[...]
> > As mentioned on that mailing list and it's still undocumented,
> > -r can be used with print -f to disable reuse:
>
> The problem, POSIX defines printf(1) to not handle options. So I don't think,
> we could add that.
[...]

POSIX printf doesn't currently specify any option, but still
allows option processing.

printf -- foo

is required to output foo.

printf -r foo

is currently unspecified.

Several printf implementations support some options (bash's, zsh's
(not -r note, I was talking of print -f above), ksh93's, GNU's...).

So I don't think there's anything preventing POSIX to specify a
new option for printf.

--
Stephane

          • Re... Harald van Dijk via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Harald van Dijk via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Harald van Dijk via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Stephane Chazelas via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Stephane Chazelas via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Stephane Chazelas via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Joerg Schilling via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Stephane Chazelas via austin-group-l at The Open Group
  • Re: Adding %n$ conv... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
  • Re: Adding %n$ conv... Don Cragun via austin-group-l at The Open Group