chet.ra...@case.edu wrote in
 <88762e56-0276-f936-cf4c-d48c8ddc2...@case.edu>:
 |On 4/29/22 4:23 PM, Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group wrote:
 |>  true & X=$!
 |They're not jobs! A pid is a pid. It doesn't matter whether it's the pid of
 |the job's controlling process (or whatever we want to call it). The
 |Asynchronous Lists text says you have to be able to wait for it. This is
 |how bash works, too.
 |
 |This is what happens when you have a jobs list and a list of terminated
 |asynchronous lists that are `known in the current shell environment'.

A bit off-topic, but it would be nice if scripts would be given
a hand to signal childs in a safe way.  I can wait(1) on a PID
maybe, but timeout(1) is not standardized (nor can it be already
i think, -- though maybe i should simply open an issue?), and so
there is no safe way to collect multiple PIDs while also being
able to kill(1) them when they exceed a time limit.  This can only
be done by means of synchronization of some stamp file or so, but
if i kill(1) a PID i do not know whether it was my PID or already
a reused PID that belongs to another program.  Yet the sh(1) does
know whether that PID is still our child or not.

--steffen

|(By Robert Gernhardt)

  • When can shells remo... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: When can sh... shwaresyst via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: When can sh... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re: When ca... Harald van Dijk via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re: When ca... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • Re: Whe... Chet Ramey via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • Re:... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re: When ca... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • Re: Whe... Chet Ramey via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • wai... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Chet Ramey via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
              • ... Chet Ramey via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re: When ca... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • Re: Whe... Chet Ramey via austin-group-l at The Open Group
          • Re:... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
            • ... Chet Ramey via austin-group-l at The Open Group