Bruno Haible wrote, on 12 May 2022:

> https://posix.rhansen.org/p/gettext_draft
> Lines 163..230, 538..543
>
> The 'restrict' keywords in these declarations are useless and - worse -
> forbid some valid, useful calls. For example, there is nothing wrong
> with
>    dgettext("hello", "hello")
> which will attempt to search for a translation of "hello" in a catalog
> name hello.mo. There is also no imaginable optimization that can be done
> in the implementation of dgettext() by assuming that the two arguments
> were different.
>
> 'restrict' is meaningful when at least one of the parameters is a
> writable pointer type. Here, all parameters are either non-pointers
> or read-only pointers.
>
> Suggestion: Remove every 'restrict' in these declarations.

In yesterday's call we removed "restrict" everywhere in the etherpad.

--
Geoff Clare <g.cl...@opengroup.org>
The Open Group, Apex Plaza, Forbury Road, Reading, RG1 1AX, England

  • POSIX <libintl.h> ... Bruno Haible via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: POSIX <libin... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group