Hi list,

I do not represent any implementations, I ask this merely as an
application developer who has asked around.

Can .sun_path be a flexible array member? The standard says it has
unspecified size, but also normatively says
"The sockaddr_storage structure defined in <sys/socket.h> shall be large
enough to accommodate a sockaddr_un structure." This doesn't clear
things up unless we have a notion of whether "size of a structure"
includes its flexible array member, and even if that is true, whether
including a flexible array member on sockaddr_storage (albeit one which
a portable application wouldn't know how to access) would satisfy this.

The example for bind() uses sizeof() on .sun_path, suggesting the answer
to my question is "no," but examples aren't normative.

If the standard could say whether this is permitted more clearly, that
would make me happy.

Thanks for your attention to my inquiry,
John

  • Can struct sockaddr_un... John Scott via austin-group-l at The Open Group