Hello.

Sorry for the late reply.

наб wrote in
 <20220723210935.jwgfb2izb5owu...@tarta.nabijaczleweli.xyz>:
 |On Sat, Jul 23, 2022 at 10:32:35PM +0200, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
 |> наб wrote in
 |>  <20220723193024.d7nv7lj43rhnl...@tarta.nabijaczleweli.xyz>:
 |>|Is the standard's intent to require
 |>|  "%u∆%d∆%s\n"
 |>|or should the section read something like
 |>|  STDOUT
 |>|    For each file processed successfully,
 |>|    the cksum utility shall write in the following format,
 |>|    if any file operands were specified:
 |>|    "%u %d %s\n", <checksum>, <# of octets>, <pathname>
 |>|    or if no file operand was specified:
 |>|    "%u %d\n", <checksum>, <# of octets>
 |>|
 |>|Line numbers from 202x/D2.1, also affects Issue 7.
 |>
 |> cksum(1) implementations differ in the wild.
 |> It was the dear Jörg Schilling who nudged me to the understanding
 |> that Sun's cksum(1) indeed works correctly, it is just the output
 |> that differs and needs normlization (via "cat -vet|grep cksum"):
 |
 |I'm largely asking this from an implementer's standpoint ‒
 |i.e. if I'm allowed to output tabs in the output
 |(or not and the intent was to sped ∆s).
 |Thanks for your example of existing practice,
 |this points to the "'<space>' should've been '<blank>s'" interpretation.
 |
 |>   csum="`${cksum} < "${f}" | ${sed} -e 's/[ ^I]\{1,\}/ /g'`"$

 |Out of morbid curiosity: any reason this couldn't be tr -s '\t' ' '?

No, i don't think so; except my personal experience is better with
sed.  I even have forgotten where the necessity to use [ ^I]
instead of [ \t] comes from, i do not seem to currently have
access to a box which would require it.  (I would understand it
for awk, but even the old broken Debian mawk from the 90s seems to
disappear with the next release i have heard.)

--steffen