A NOTE has been added to this issue.
https://austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=1613
Reported By:                kre
Assigned To:
Project:                    Issue 8 drafts
Issue ID:                   1613
Category:                   System Interfaces
Type:                       Omission
Severity:                   Objection
Date Submitted:             2022-11-03 12:53 UTC
Last Modified:              2022-11-03 20:21 UTC
bug 1533, but should have been (++)
of
people (one really) who have no idea at all what they're talking about and
are proposing utter nonsense which will never happen.   That's gibberish.

I know the line you quoted from the standard (which is in both mktime()
and
strftime()) about calling tzset (that applies to the NetBSD list discussion
-
though the people there don't care what POSIX specifies, just that those
functions do what they are presuming that they should always do ... I
intend
to post one last time there, soon, if things have finally calmed dowm and
both include that line from the standard, and show the fringe that NetBSD
already has (non-POSIX) interfaces that do exactly what they want, which
are in our manual pages, which they are obviously not bothering to read,
but
while things are running hot, that would not go down well).

You may be correct that musl's broken (non-conforming) implementation here
may have been what triggered that discussion originally, but isn't what
added the heat.   I don't think discussing implementation code details is
really appropriate here however.

But that line doesn't impact this current issue - there's no question but
that mktime() (and strftime) are required to treat the time as local time,
but local time can have more than one tm_gmtoff (and does, in any zone
when
summer time applies) - and an implementation could use tm_gmtoff to help
it select which of the ambiguous time values in the "end of summer time,
time runs twice" situation.

My point here is that implementations must not do that, as doing so can
cause existing conforming applications to produce undefined behaviour.

While I am here, I see a line in the "Desired action" where I managed to
make
two typos... (but neither of the form a spell checker can detect).

The line:
    structure pointer to by timeptr, which values shall not be restricted
should have said
    structure pointed to by timeptr, in which values shall not be
restricted

Regular users are able to edit their own notes, like this one, but not the
problem description, nor desired action, so ...

Issue History
Date Modified    Username       Field                    Change
43865-43866, 43867-43870

  • [Issue 8 dra... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • [Issue ... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group