Garrett Wollman wrote, on 04 Nov 2022:

> <<On Fri, 4 Nov 2022 09:36:25 +0000, "Austin Group Bug Tracker via
> austin-group-l at The Open Group" <austin-group-l@opengroup.org> said:
>
> > As I understand it, this requires that if mktime() determines that DST is
> > in effect, it returns the same result as it would for tm_isdst=1, otherwise
> > it returns the same result as it would for tm_isdst=0. That is how all
> > certified UNIX and POSIX systems behave. Until now I thought it was how all
> > mktime() implementations behave, but I see that the C DR that you cite
> > mentions "Arthur David Olson's popular ``tz'' time zone software" as
> > returning -1.  That was back in 1994, so I wonder if it still does or if it
> > has changed to behave like other implementations.
>
> As a practical matter, although now maintained by Paul Eggert and
> under the auspices of IANA, this Reference Implementation, known as
> "tzcode", is used by many if not most platforms, and has been for many
> many years.

If it returns -1 for times "in the gap" then it isn't being used by any
certified UNIX or POSIX system, nor by Debian GNU/Linux (or any other
Linux distro, I assume, but that's the one I tested).

--
Geoff Clare <g.cl...@opengroup.org>
The Open Group, Apex Plaza, Forbury Road, Reading, RG1 1AX, England

  • [1003.1(2016... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • [1003.1... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • [1003.1... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • [1003.1... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • [1003.1... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • [1003.1... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • [10... Garrett Wollman via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • ... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • [1003.1... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re:... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re:... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group