Date:        Sat, 17 Dec 2022 22:20:20 +0100
    From:        "Vincent Lefevre via austin-group-l at The Open Group"
<austin-group-l@opengroup.org>

  | What is the behavior of the QUIT character (^\) when typing a command
  | in an interactive sh shell?

As you have seen, it varies, and is not specified anywhere I know of.

  | https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/sh.html just
  | says that if the shell is interactive, SIGQUIT shall be ignored.

That just means that the shell doesn't exit with a core dump when the
signal is generated (however it is generated, including via kill(2)).

What happens depends upon  the terminal settings, and how the shell
chooses to implement command line editing (which is specified to exist,
at least for vi mode - others are allowed as alternatives - but isn't
specified how it works).

If the shell isn't doing command line editing, the effects of the
quit character on the terminal input buffer still occur (anything
pending is flushed), if it is, then it all depend what (if anything)
the Ctrl-\ (or other char that might be set as the quit char in termios)
is defined to work in that editor - one can bind it to do almost
anything in most shells (typing the character doesn't necessarily
generate a SIGQUIT).

kre

  • behavior of the QUIT... Vincent Lefevre via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: behavior of... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re: behavio... Vincent Lefevre via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re: behavio... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • Re: beh... Steffen Nurpmeso via austin-group-l at The Open Group