A NOTE has been added to this issue.
https://austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=1630
Reported By:                mirabilos
Assigned To:
Project:                    Online Pubs
Issue ID:                   1630
Category:                   Base Definitions
Type:                       Clarification Requested
Severity:                   Objection
Date Submitted:             2023-01-20 21:39 UTC
Last Modified:              2023-01-20 22:30 UTC

 (0006122) kre (reporter) - 2023-01-20 22:30
 https://austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=1630#c6122
As long as we're keeping aliases in the standard at all (no objection to
deleting them, and all that goes with them, from me), their names, just
like function names, should be able to be anything that a (simple) command
name can be, so an alias, or function, can be used to replace/augment any
command that can exist (just not ones containing '/' so using a full path
to defeat the function, or alias, though even that's not as important for
aliases, as quoting some of it also stops an alias from expanding).

Commands can begin with - and + (I use '-' as a shorthand for the nmh
"prev"
command, and '+' for its "next" command), so aliases should be able to as
well.

The current text in XBD 3.10 doesn't require support in alias names
for '+' or '-' at all, but it allows that as an implementation extension.

I object to any attempt to restrict things more than is currently done
(note: nothing requires your shell to allow '-' or '+' in alias names
at all, if you do allow them, you can do that however you like, the
standard does not have to forbid a leading '-' for you to do so.)

[[ would be a dangerous alias to attempt to use, as it is on the "might
be a reserved word" list, if it is, then (with standard posix shell
practices)
it cannot be used as an alias.   If it isn't, I see no reason why that
shouldn't be an alias either.

While I'm here, a procedural note which I think is correct, but someone
more knowledgeable might correct me ... you're filing your recent issues
in the "Online Pubs" category.   I think that's wrong - that's intended
for
issues with the HTML translation of the (primary) PDF version of the
standard.   I don't think it should be used for issues with what the
standard says, or changes/additions requested of that.   Use the version
of the standard you're reading (if the HTML version that would be
Issue7+TC2 currently).

Issue History
Date Modified    Username       Field                    Change
https://austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=1050

  • [Online Pubs... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • [Online... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group