Thorsten Glaser wrote, on 31 Jan 2023:

> https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/pax.html
> speaks of “ISO/IEC 646:1991 standard IRV” most of the time, but in
> some cases it only says “ISO/IEC 646:1991 standard” and in one even
> 1990, not 1991. I believe these should all refer to the 1991 IRV
> (ISO-IR-6, ISO_646.irv:1991).

I agree where "IRV" is missing it should be added.  Changing 1990
to 1991 in the charset values table I initially thought might be
more contentious, but I see that it says "additional names may be
agreed on between the originator and recipient" and "The encoding is
included in an extended header for information only; when pax is
used as described in POSIX.1-202x, it shall not translate the file
data into any other encoding."  So I think that change should be
fine too.

> The use of Δ instead of ␣ for space, let alone as inline graphic,
> is also… unusual and mildly irritating, depending on the browser,
> and breaks copy/paste as well.

I assume Δ was originally chosen for use in file format notation
because it was a character the original troff could produce.  Now
we are using groff it might be technically possible to use a different
character, but I'm not sure it would be wise to mess with a convention
that is so well established over decades.

The PDFs have the Δ as text; I don't know why it ended up as a graphic
in the HTML translation.  Maybe that is something that could be
looked at when we do the Issue 8 HTML translation.

> The charset values (and others) are case-sensitive, I assume?

Yes.

--
Geoff Clare <g.cl...@opengroup.org>
The Open Group, Apex Plaza, Forbury Road, Reading, RG1 1AX, England

  • possible 646 mistakes... Thorsten Glaser via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: possible 646... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group
      • Re: possible... Thorsten Glaser via austin-group-l at The Open Group
        • Re: poss... Geoff Clare via austin-group-l at The Open Group