Date:        Fri, 8 Dec 2023 07:11:17 +0000
    From:        "Andrew Josey via austin-group-l at The Open Group"
<austin-group-l@opengroup.org>

  | > In edited post-d3 line 111861:
  | >
  | >    literal value of a following <backslash> *and* shall prevent a
  | >
  | > should this *and* be /or/?
  | >
  | > Using *and* seems to imply that you would need to specify:
  | >
  | >   \\<IFS-delimiter-or-line-delimiter>
  | >
  | > to use it, while /or/ should more clearly indicate the intended
  | > alternatives:

I don't agree, it was intended to specify that the \ does both of
those things - it escapes the following char = or if that char is
a newline, it makes the pair vanish.   That is, implementations
don't get to choose which of those it should implement, and ignore
the other.

If the simple wording leaves that ambiguous in some way (I'm not
convinced it does) then the whole sentence should be reworded (made
more explicit) - just changing "and" to "or" wouldn't do it.

kre

  • Fwd: Bug 1778 in Minutes... Andrew Josey via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: Fwd: Bug 1778 i... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group