A NOTE has been added to this issue.
https://www.austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=1827
Reported By:                nrk
Assigned To:
Project:                    Issue 8 drafts
Issue ID:                   1827
Category:                   Shell and Utilities
Type:                       Enhancement Request
Severity:                   Objection
Date Submitted:             2024-04-15 03:23 UTC
Last Modified:              2024-04-16 22:51 UTC
it to compress(1)

 (0006754) nrk (reporter) - 2024-04-16 22:51
 https://www.austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=1827#c6754
> and it's just one implementation had already implemented gzip compression
in the `compress` utility in the current form

AFAIK, that implementation is openbsd: https://man.openbsd.org/compress.1
But openbsd also provides gzip(1), with the familiar -0..9 cli flag for
compression level: https://man.openbsd.org/gzip.1

And so IMO, deciding to add gzip support to compress(1) - which is followed
by a single implementation - instead of standarizing gzip(1) which is
followed by nearly all implementation is very poor and is leading to many
of the concerns outlined above.

> the `compress` utility can (if I didn't interpret it wrong) report
"unsupported" for some combinations of the options.

It may, but my point was about poor and confusing interface. A flag doing
one thing in one case and something completely different in another is
usually not good design.

Furthermore, consider the hassle when trying to look through the manpage.
Currently I can do `man gzip` and only see gzip(1) specific options or `man
compress` and only see compress(1) specific options. Merging gzip and lzw
into a single utility means the documentation will be cluttered with both
even when I'm only looking for one.

> the current draft 4 has passed a stage where we can make normative
changes to, so we might have to settle with an application usage or
rationale section

That's unfortunate. If gzip(1) cannot be added, can the changes to
compress(1) be reverted at least?

> some linux distros don't ship `pax` by default, but instead `cpio` and
`tar`.

This is one more reason why I believe the compress(1) change should be
reverted. gzip(1) is so ubiquitous that the chances that people start using
compress(1) for it is HIGHLY unlikely - especially when you consider the
"Hurdles for script authors" issues I raised above. As such, I would not be
surprised at all if distributions continue to not ship compress(1) or if
compress(1) implementations simply not add gzip support (aside from openbsd
which already has it).
And so a very likely outcome is a more complicated compress(1)
specification which benefits no one.

Issue History
Date Modified    Username       Field                    Change

  • [Issue 8 dra... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • [Issue ... Austin Group Bug Tracker via austin-group-l at The Open Group