Date:        Sun, 12 May 2024 18:59:51 -0500
    From:        "Andrew Pennebaker via austin-group-l at The Open Group"
<austin-group-l@opengroup.org>

I do not send mail to @gmail addresses, so I will reply just to the list.

  | I would like the standard POSIX date utility to receive an option to format
  | timestamps with modern RFC3339 format.

This is not the appropriate forum to make that happen - you'd need
to get the various implementations to agree on a new option, which
once common, could then be proposed to be added to the standard.

I don't really see the need for that 3339 format is trivial to
produce already...

jacaranda$ date -u +%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%SZ
2024-05-13T07:20:06Z

(That isn't GNU date, but I'd be a little surprised if it couldn't
do the same).

  | The GNU date utility seems to do this poorly, using the overly elaborate
  | pattern "...+00:00" instead of "...Z" for UTC timezone.

That's allowed by 3339, if you don't like it, or want an option to
change just that, you should take that up with the maintainers of
GNU date, not here.

kre

  • Request RFC3339 for... Andrew Pennebaker via austin-group-l at The Open Group
    • Re: Request RF... Robert Elz via austin-group-l at The Open Group