>    Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 17:48:40 -0500
>    From: Harlan Stenn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>    NTP only uses the DECL_ stuff for cases where the system headers do not
>    provide the declarations.
>
> I'm surprised.  Personally, I've never seen a case where the system
> headers do not provide a declaration, and the correct declaration does
> not just involve ints.  You showed an example using setpriority; is it
> really true there is a system which does not declare setpriority in
> any system header file, and in which the type of the second parameter
> is id_t, and in which passing the second parameter as int will not
> work correctly?

We've been doing something like this for quite a while in vile & tin.
The issue is not whether the missing header prevents the code from
compiling - or whether an int can be cast to a pointer, but whether we
can use the compile to flush out coding errors - and to do this on
each platform without being swamped by meaningless warnings.  So the
prototype of course should be both necessary & appropriate.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
[EMAIL PROTECTED]