Earnie> Since you brought up this point, I've often wondered why
Earnie> configure isn't constructed such that it uses the
Earnie> config.[guess|sub] which has the most recent version.

First of all, there are still no easy means to compare two versions
and decide which one is the most recent.

Earnie> Such that if I have a config.[guess|sub] in a upperlevel
Earnie> directory that configure look there first for
Earnie> config.[guess|sub] and determine if it is a more recent
Earnie> version that what is packaged with the source.

Things related to config.guess etc. are probably ``advanced use''
enough so that we consider the user will always know better than a
script, so I'm not choked by the fact that the tasks is on the user's
shoulder.

Finally, personally I'm not really fond of configure scan its
neighborhood, I like things straight: it is supposed to be *here*,
period.

        Akim