Ben> Has any thought been given to heading in this direction in the
Ben> future?  On 8-way Linux machines, build times can be dominated by
Ben> the `configure' script--once configured, a tree can be compiled
Ben> in a fraction of the overall time.

Lately I've been thinking that in a better world, the configure code
would be integrated with the build system, so that the build system's
dependency tracking could be used to order (and thus implicitly
parallelize) the configure tests.  This would also make it possible
for the build system to directly drive configure requirements -- eg a
"C compiler object" could depend on the "C compiler configure test
object", and the simple addition of a C file to the build would end up
causing new configury code to be run.  Maybe in the next decade.

Tom