Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> Here is an idea for writing a multiprocessor-friendly autoconf.
> Basically, the idea is to change the configure phase into a Makefile
> target, and use caching as a way to split it into various sub-targets that
> can be executed in parallel.  The shell script might run the "sane build"
> test and then spawn the Makefile.

That sounds good.  I'd like configure to go faster on my dual processor system.

A few other thoughts:

* can you reduce the number of fork/exec's total?  That would also speed
it up.  (Not sure what you could do there, just thought I'd mention it.)

* Can you also consider support for cross-compiling?
AC_TRY_RUN has been begging for an extension
that lets it remotely run code when doing cross-development.
You could probably do something similar with your system
by letting the user provide a macro which specifies a command
used to transfer an executable to a remote system and run it there...

- Dan